There is no such thing as one bike that can do it all, but the Cross-Check does a good job of most things people use bikes for. It’s a cyclocross bike by design but it does a good job getting you across the country or across town too. It’s at home on the road and on trails, on gravel, and just about whatever else you might run into. It’ll take pretty big tires, or smaller ones if you like. It can be built as a geared bike, a singlespeed or a fixed-gear.
The frame is designed to supply a comfortable but lively ride. The tubing is high quality drawn CroMoly steel, built to Surly’s specifications. It’s built to work with components of popular sizes, meaning you can find options in tons of new and old parts. It will accommodate a wide range of crank types and chainring sizes. It’s got accommodations for racks and fenders, front and rear. Because it takes those big tires, you can outfit it to suit where and how you’ll use it. Did we say already that we like Surly?
- Tubing: Surly 4130 CroMoly steel. Main triangle double-butted. TIG-welded
- Rear dropouts: Semi-horizontal dropouts give you singlespeed compatibility and wheelbase adjustability. Adjuster screws are included to keep your wheel in the right place for optimal shifting if you go with derailleurs. Our Gnot-rite spacing (132.5mm) allows you to run 130mm road hubs or 135mm MTB hubs
- Brake compatibility: Cantilever brake studs front and rear
- Braze-ons/extras: Bosses front and rear to take cantilever or linear-pull brakes, eyelets at the dropouts, rear rack bosses, dual water bottle mounts, downtube shifter bosses, fully threaded through-blade fork eyelets for a front rack
- Seatpost diameter: 27.2mm
- Seatpost clamp diameter: 30.0mm Surly stainless, included
- Headset/Steertube: 1-1/8˝ threadless
- Front derailleur clamp diameter: 28.6mm
- Bottom bracket shell: 68mm wide, standard English threaded 1.37˝ x 24t
- Chainring clearance: Manipulated stays so you can fit the size rings you want. Go nuts
- Tire clearance: Fatties Fit Fine (FFF) stays and our beautiful slope-crowned custom fork provide room for tires up to 700c x 42mm, or about 700c x 40mm with fenders. Largest possible tire size depends on tire, rims, axle location in the dropouts, and other factors, but still, you can run pretty damn big tires
- Fork: 4130 CroMoly, lugged and brazed. Sloping crown with threaded eyelets, tapered and butted curved blades with mid-blade rack eyelets, dual dropout eyelets
- Sizes: 42, 46, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60 and 62 cm
- Color: Hospital Foam and Gloss Black. Soon available in Dream Tangerine.